Monday, September 11, 2006

We Remember after Five

Five years ago from this morning I was a nervous wreck. This day was already going to be momentous for me and the future of my children. See, my ex-wife appealed the custody order and this was her last chance to appear in court and plead her case. I lay it all out here, well worth a read.

The Cliff notes version is she was a no show, again. The judge held her in contempt and issued an arrest warrant and I was given full legal and physical custody. Five years later these boys are 13 and 14, healthy, happy, and just as much a handful as they were back then. Their older brother, whom I raised from 11 months to 11 years is aboard the USS Iwo Jima as a Marine Cpl fixing helicopters. The oldest in the house is a Senior in High School on his last leg of public academia. I am just damn happy they are on the path to success. I am proud of each of them for the successes they have already had, and what the future holds for them.

So you see, I have a completely different perspective of 9/11. I will never forgot those who lost their lives that day. Those that sacrificed of themselves so others could live. Those who went from ordinary citizens to citizen heroes. But we also must not forget that there was also good things that happened that day. There were Births of children who are now 5 years old, and the future of others secured.

Smile at a child today, and hug your children if you have them. This is a day of remembrance, but also an opportunity to remember how fragile life is, and how we as parents and adults are bound to ensuring the safety and security of those that will come after us.

Flash

No comments: