Thursday, April 21, 2005

What Liberal Media

From the mouth of Rove himself:
"I'm not sure I've talked about the liberal media," Rove said when a student inquired -- a decision he said he made "consciously." The press is generally liberal, he argued, but "I think it's less liberal than it is oppositional."

The argument -- similar to the one that former Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer made in his recent book -- is nuanced, nonpartisan and, to the ears of many journalists, right on target. "Reporters now see their role less as discovering facts and fair-mindedly reporting the truth and more as being put on the earth to afflict the comfortable, to be a constant thorn of those in power, whether they are Republican or Democrat," Rove said.
Get that! Let me repeat this part:
being put on the earth to afflict the comfortable, to be a constant thorn of those in power, whether they are Republican or Democrat,"
When I made that suggestions a while ago (I'll find the link somewhere), I was chastised. It will be curious to see what those defenders of a Liberal media bias will say now that one of their own shares my view.

Flash

(via BoTML)

UPDATE: Well, I found the link. It was in a comment thread over at SitD

In me feeble and green attempt to defuse a liberal media bias complaint back last May, I said the exact opposite of what Rove implies:
"But we both know, if there is a bias at all in the media, it tends to lean towards the party in power, and that directions, is to the Right. And that is why GW continues to get a pass, over and over again!"
It was Ryan who called me on it:
"However, ever since Watergate and Woodward & Bernstein, the wary and allergically suspicious media has switched gears and they work around the clock to bring down whoever may be sitting in the White House, and it doesn't matter which party is in office."
So I wasn't chastised for me desire to defend the lack of a media bias, I was chastised for my ignorance in my early days in the Blogosphere.

I still think that President Bush continues to be treated with kid gloves. What he is facing in the media is nothing compared to the pummeling Clinton took.

No comments: