Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving 2007

I have much to be thankful for. A wonderful family, both immediate and extended. The lovely Mrs. Flash and I will be sitting down around 1:ish with our three boys to enjoy another holiday meal together. I have a friend in transition who will also be here. No one should be alone on this day. I hear rumors that Cpl. Peterson, my marine, may be in the state for the Christmas holiday. What a present that would be. I continue to be thankful for his service, safety, and security.

My brother and sister are both doing well, and my parents continue to enjoy good health and safe travels. We will all be together on Saturday for an extended Thanksgiving celebration.

I am thankful for Centrisity, and the outlet it provides me to keep my political sanity and the world as a whole in perspective. Things seem to be a little calmer here than other places on the Net, I like that. It keeps me in check and makes me think. I am not here to push a meme, or seek out a specific victory. I am here to learn, and grow ideologically. If that takes me Left or Right, so be it. I think that's what makes this place unique.

Those that have been around know of my Mayflower ancestry, descended from both Francis Eaton and Samuel Fuller. My GGGG Grandfather is named Fuller Eaton, named after his Grandparents, themselves 4th generation pilgrims. That's what makes this day even more special for us.

One key piece of history obtained from the Pilgrims, was the Mayflower Compact. This earliest of documents, acknowledging the need for governance and civility could even be called the foundation of our own constitution. The text of this rudimentary document follows:
In the name of God, Amen. We whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God of Great Britain, France and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, etc. Having undertaken, for the Glory of God and advancement of the Christian Faith and Honour of our King and Country, a Voyage to plant the First Colony in the Northern Parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually in the presence of God and one of another, Covenant and Combine ourselves together into a Civil Body Politic, for our better ordering and preservation and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enact, constitute and frame such just and equal Laws, Ordinances, Acts, Constitutions and Offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general good of the Colony, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience. In witness whereof we have hereunder subscribed our names at Cape Cod, the 11th of November, in the year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord King James, of England, France and Ireland the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fifty-fourth. Anno Domini 1620.
What is the primary purpose of governance, "for the general good of the Colony, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience." That's what it is all about, isn't. I truly believe that regardless of ones ideological perspective, that everyone is sincere in their desire to work towards what they feel is best, for the good of the 'colony'. Our differences emerge when we try to agree on how to get there.

From a seat on the Mayflower, to a vote in the electoral college. I have much to be thankful for.

Enjoy your day.

Pilgrim Flash

UPDATE: Mission Accomplished. Dinner hit the table right at halftime and boy was it yummy. Now I need a nap *grin*

No comments: