Sunday, October 16, 2005

Tragedy on 94

At least 5 are dead, including some students, in a Bus/Semi crash on I-94 this AM:
A bus carrying high school students home from a band competition collided with a semi truck early today, killing five passengers, the Wisconsin State Patrol said.

About 30 people were transported to area hospitals after the crash, which took place shortly after 2 a.m. on Interstate Hwy. 94 west of Osseo, patrol spokesman Brent Pickard said. The students from Chippewa Falls High School were returning from a competition at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, some 200 miles to the southeast of Chippewa Falls. Osseo is approximately 115 miles east of Minneapolis.
Some pics here.

I've been on many coach busses in my travels with the drum corps I have performed in. I have marched on the exact same field in Whitewater where these students were returning from. I have broke down, stalled, delayed, and have witnessed mishaps on the bus requiring trips to emergency rooms. But never have I been a part of a bus convoy that was involved in an accident. I can only imagine the horror and hurt that unfolded during this tragedy.

My heart and prayers go out to the members, family and friends of the Chippewa Falls High School community.

Flash

UPDATE: I received the following in an E-Mail this AM.
I am personally worried about the two band directors . . . Doug Greenhaugh is also a band director that has been involved heavily in the drum corps community as a member, instructor and even judge.
And this unfortunate news a short time ago.
Among the dead were band director Douglas Greenhalgh, 48, known throughout Wisconsin for his work on motorcycle safety; his wife, Therese, 51, and their 11-year-old granddaughter Morgan, students and friends said. Also killed was the bus driver, Paul Rasmus, 78, and a 24-year-old man who wasn't identified.

No comments: