Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Minnesota's Best Kept Secret

I digress periodically, from political punditry, to promote what I have always called the best kept secret in the country, Drum and Bugle Corps. Tonight on the KARE11:Extra viewers will be treated to the passion of the marching arts.

I have been involved in the activity for over 25 year. Most of my career has been spent with Minnesota Brass, Incorporated. As recently as 2003, I marched a Spanish themed 'Dreams and Fantasy' show. Even while in ones 40's, I could still hold my own with the young pups that fill the corps today. We defended our Midwest Championship, and captured 4th place at World Championships.

Unfortunately, the time and energy to perform at a World Class level, prohibits a family man like myself from participating every year. I hope to return in 2006, for the corps' 60th anniversary.

This year, the corps is 'Moondancing', and KARE11 will spend about 5-7 minutes taking the viewers on a highspeed tour of the corps' development. The segment follows a first year member, and a seasoned vet, from the first rehearsal in the fall, through Midwest Championships in DeKalb, IL earlier this month.

Although I won't get any 'face time' in the production, I was the primary contact with Reporter Allan Costantini, so feel some ownership in the final product. The promos I have seen already have me excited.

I think you should be sure to tune in, Thursday, the 22nd, Channel 11, during the 10:00 PM newscast.

You don't want to miss it!

Flash

No comments: