Monday, September 13, 2004

The Second Amendment

Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
I call myself pro-gun, but struggle with allowing some of these weapons on the streets. I am aware that there are federal regulations that prohibit the nastiest, but many of the weapons included in the now expired ban just seem unnecessarily accessible.

So then I begin to think of the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Amendments, and even the 10th. The rights that were being restricted, or challenged, or reduced, with the Patriot Act. Where are those beholden to the protection of the Bill of Rights when other rights are having less of a meaning.

Just seems frustrating that this White House will defend the 2nd amendment and it's literal interpretation without considering the full ramifications, yet turn it's back on the other nine.

Typical . . .

Flash

PS: I even read Assault-Weapons Ban, R.I.P. while contemplating this post. The Elder might even talk to me again!

No comments: