Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Patty says 'No' to 6th

In today's PiPress (freebie on the stoop this AM), Patty tries to 'burn the bridge':
Speaking to Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party elders at a Hemenway Forum luncheon in Oakdale, she said, "I'm not going to run for the 6th District. The numbers show me that ? I will not win."

The numbers are from a poll she commissioned in late February. It showed that, statewide, voters viewed her favorably by a 2-to-1 margin. But in the 6th District, she said, 48 percent had a negative impression of her and 46 percent viewed her positively.
I simply don't buy it. I agree that the 6th will be a tough cookie to crack, but that doesn't mean she should turn her back on the run. She had a very formidable campaign going against a well funded incumbent. Should Klobuchar get the DFL endorsement for Senate, Wetterling would be the DFL's best hope at capturing this open seat.

I would still put my money on a Klobuchar Senate, Wetterling 6th pairing. It is so early that I am hoping Wetterling is choosing not to hedge her situation to allow for a more robust fund raising effort and a focused campaign. But when all is said and done, I hope she reconsiders.

Flash

No comments: