Friday, April 01, 2005

Homegrown!

My alternate activity when I am not blogging, domesticating, or working, is Drum and Bugle Corps. I have been involved in the activity as a performer or administrator for over 25 years. Over the last few years, I have slowed down my involvement to make time for those formative teen years and the demands they bring to the home.

The last time I marched a full season, was 2003, with Minnesota Brass, Incorporated. After taking last year off, I am fulfilling a dream, marching with the Govenaires, the oldest continuously competing Drum Corps in the world. My Grandfather marched in 1928 and my father in the late 50's and early 60's. I have always wanted to fulfill the family's Govenaire legacy, and that is why I have chosen to travel to southern Minnesota every other weekend since January.

Although the Govies have done a few parades, the official kick-off the 2005 season will be at the Minnesota Music Showcase:


This event will highlight not only the three competing Drum and Bugle corps in Minnesota, but will add some other homegrown flavor as we show our support to more than just the Marching Arts idiom.

VSA Arts is an organization creating a society where people with disabilities can learn through, participate in, and enjoy the arts. They will have several performers participating in the evenings festivities.

Also, the East Metro Music Academy, which provides individual and group music classes to several hundred people by utilizing donated space at recreation centers in the Twin Cities east Metro area, will join us.

Along with Chops, Inc (the 3rd Minnesota Drum Corps), Minne-Brass (Minnesota Brass Inc.'s entry into the DCA mini-corps competition.) and Brio Brass (a 40-member non-traditional brass band where audiences are likely to hear fluid ballads, rousing marches, rollicking polkas, pop of all eras, show tunes, funky rock, and LOTS of JAZZ!) will round out the slate.

Emcees for the program will be Lynne Warfel-Holt of Minnesota Public Radio and Allen Costantini of KARE-11 TV, both of whom are drum corps fans and have drum corps in their family backgrounds.

Pencil in the date, and join other Minnesota Music supporters as we put on a display of homegrown talent that will fill your evening. Tickets are only $5.00 and the venue is the Highland Park Senior High Auditorium (Montreal/Snelling in St. Paul).

More information is available at the Graphic link in this post which will also be pinned to the sidebar. I knew you all were wondering how long my homage to Robert Blake would last. Well now that spot will become a Drum Corps only zone, until after Labor Day weekend.

I hope to see you all there.

Flash

No comments: