Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Forced Evacuations Begin

From CNN:
New Orleans' mayor has ordered law enforcement agencies to remove everyone from the city who is not involved in cleaning up after Hurricane Katrina, whether they want to go or not.
Earlier in the week, Hastert made this comment:
It makes no sense to spend billions of dollars to rebuild a city that's seven feet under sea level, House Speaker Dennis Hastert said of federal assistance for hurricane-devastated New Orleans.
I am not going to debate the validity (or lack thereof) of the statement, just the insensitivity of it.

As I pile through the stack of newspapers collected during my 6 days away from home, I am watching the travesty in New Orleans unfold in a fast forward mode. I still have a few more to go, and much more to say!

Flash

No comments: