Friday, August 13, 2004

Up Nort' on da Range

I am traveling to Northern Minnesota this weekend. Meeting up with a friend in Buhl, MN and then touring the Soudan Underground mine and then ending the weekend on the North shore of Lake Superior at the beautiful Gooseberry Falls state park. It should be a blast.

While I'm gone, here are some educational links for you:

Christmas in Cambodia: What the Swift Boat Veterans for Bush have come up with, is a story, A story that can't be verified or confirmed, and they know it. It was brilliant, well, until you look at the details of the story, and realize it isn't even plausible. Kerry may have made it up too, but his story is at least possible. Read the breakdown here.

Also, probably the most balanced article I found on the Kerry -vs- Swift Boat Vets for Bush. You can find it here:

I also appreciated this OpEd from Jim Rassmann, who found out what a true leader John Kerry is on March 13, 1969, My favorite:
"Nobody asked me to join John's campaign. Why would they? I am a Republican, and for more than 30 years I have largely voted for Republicans. I volunteered for his campaign because I have seen John Kerry in the worst of conditions. I know his character. I've witnessed his bravery and leadership under fire. And I truly know he will be a great commander in chief"

Sensitivity: The Right is hyping on a single word, dissected from the complete quote, and twisting the full meaning of the statement. It is a common tactic, like the 'voted for the war funding, before voting against it] tripe. See, these things don’t play well to those with any common sense at all. Kerry supported the bill when it was being funded, and when the funding was eliminated in favor of more deficit spending, Kerry took the high ground, and voted against the bill, knowing it had more then enough support to pass. Rather courageous for a man on the verge of a presidential election campaign.

But what of his statement regarding a 'sensitive' War. Lets compare two quotes, complete quotes, within their context.

Kerry Said last week "I believe I can fight a more effective, more thoughtful, more strategic, more proactive, more sensitive war on terror that reaches out to other nations and brings them to our side."

Bush said, when christening the USS Ronald Reagan in March 2001 "Precisely because America is powerful, we must be sensitive about expressing our power and influence. Our goal is to patiently build the momentum of freedom, not create resentment for America itself. We pursue our goals; we will listen to others; we want strong friends to join us, not weak neighbors to dominate. In all our dealings with other nations, we will display the modesty of true confidence and strength."

This is easier then shooting fish in a barrel, so I'll give the Right a chance to regroup over the weekend, and see what else they make upcome up with.

Till Tuesday . . .

Flash

No comments: