Monday, February 09, 2004

As part of my intro to the Blogosphere, it is only appropriate that I spell out where I am coming from. Some of you, PJZ for instance, feel I have some sort of an obligation here to save the word. Well, I can't just shoot from the hip until you all know where I am at on the issues. As for bereft of ideas, I have plenty, and they will come out in time.

So now it is time to open myself up. I think I'll use the outline of the AOL Presidential Match to parse my views.

Abortion: I am personally pro-life, but politically pro-choice.

OK, cop-out you may say, but the reality is, the Right is so damned insistent about not meddling in people's personal decisions, yet they want control over the basic decisions every human being has, a choice between life and death. Now, I would make great efforts to convince anyone in my counsel to preserve life, both lives, at all costs, but will respect that the final decision needs to be up to the woman, and the final judge of her decision is God, not me, not the United States.

I was mixed on the survey questions, opposing the outlawing of abortions as a whole, but favoring the outlaw of partial birth abortions and supporting of the under 18 notifications. It is any parents right to be informed of their child's medical condition.

Gay Rights: Maybe the Righties can help me with this one. The GOP banter is all about leaving the government out of our personal lives. Small government dedicated to the security of the nation, and supporting an infrastructure that assists in economic growth. Why oh why oh why do they want to legislate morality. This is all about education and social acceptance. If anything, it is a state issue. If two people are happy together and can be productive members of our society, so be it.

I am a lefty on this issue, more so because I don't think it is the governments business who one chooses to sleep with.


Religion in Government: I lean Right here. It is noble to separate church and state, but the literal interpretation of the Constitution is causing more harm then good. I see no reason why prayer in school should be an issue, for the same reason I supported the 10 Commandment display. I mean, come on, 'In God we trust' , 'So Help Me, God', we could go on and on about the religious symbolism in the government, it is one of the strengths of our nation.

The context of the separation clause over 200 years ago was due to the religious persecution felt by the founders of this country, and why many of them came here to begin with. Religious persecution, or ANY persecution for that matter, should NOT be tolerated. THAT is where the efforts need to be invested.


Gun Control: I'll tread softly here, as Mitch may be listening. I support the right of all qualified individuals to 'keep and bear arms'. Do I think someone should be able to walk down the street packing heat, well, technically I guess I do, but I don't think it is necessary. I favor safety devices on guns, I mean who wouldn’t. What 'logical' reason would one NOT want to require them.

How about background checks. If we agree that violent felons shouldn't be packing heat, shouldn't we have a process to prevent it? Wouldn't point-of-sale be the best place to begin? Just seems simple to me. Oh, and safety courses, that's a no brainner.

There was a questions regarding suing the gun manufacturers. I believe our litigious society spends more time padding the pockets of overzealous attorney, then protecting the rights of it's citizens. If someone has a legitimate loss, they should have the right to pursue compensation. If that same person wants to sue Ford, because that is the make of the car the drunk driver was driving, well, that would be as foolish as suing Remmington. I am with GW on this one.


Death Penalty: My only reservation is the outside chance of an innocent being executed. What a horrific experience it must be for the 'dead man walking' knowing that they were wrongfully convicted. With that, do I favor the abolishment of the Death Penalty, No! However, it is only responsible to consider having a National Review of Death Penalty fairness . . . . GW disagrees

Tomorrow (maybe); Education, Homeland Security, Iraq, Foreign Trade, and Health Care

No comments: