* 2 pounds dry great Northern beansIt sure turned out yummy!!
* 16 cups water
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 ham shoulder or shank bone
* 1 lbs package carrots, chopped
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* 2 to 3 medium/large onions, chopped
* 2-4 cloves garlic minced
* 1 teaspoon mustard powder (or Tablespoon Brown Mustard)
* 2 to 3 bay leaves
* 2-4 cups chopped ham
* 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
In a large pot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and the beans and remove from heat. Let beans sit in the hot water for at least 60 minutes.
After soaking, return the pot to high heat and place the ham bone, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, mustard and bay leaves in the pot. Stir well, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 60 more minutes.
Remove ham bone and clean meat off, returning ham to pot. Discard bone.
Stir in the chopped ham and simmer for 30 more minutes.
Remove Bay Leaves
Season with ground white pepper to taste.