Sunday, April 13, 2008

Road to Citizenship

GREAT feel good story in the STRIB this AM:
Vikings right guard Anthony Herrera had three items on his to-do list when he woke up March 26: 1, Become a stronger, more well-conditioned NFL player; 2, Attend a scheduled appointment with coach Brad Childress; and, oh yeah, 3, Become a U.S. citizen.
Having been in country almost half his life, he waited his turn and was now set to take the oath. What really caught my eyes was the maneuver by Coach Childress:
Childress congratulated Herrera and asked who was accompanying him to the big event. Herrera said, "No one but me." His wife and young daughter were in Mississippi. His mother was in Florida. And Herrera hadn't even thought to bother his teammates by asking them to join him.

"I said, 'Anthony, you can't get sworn in as a U.S. citizen and not have anyone with you,' " Childress said. "I said, 'Shoot, give me a minute. I'm going with you.'"
Read the whole thing. It is perfect for a positive Sunday read!

Flash

No comments: